Moussa Tiégboro Camara

27.04.2016 ( Last modified: 20.02.2018 )
Trial Watch would like to remind its users that any person charged by national or international authorities is presumed innocent until proven guilty.


Lieutenant colonel Moussa Tiegboro Camara is a former member of the military junta of CNDD (National Council for Democracy and Development), a group that took power by coup d’Etat after the death of the Guinean President of the Republic, general Lansana Conté, on 22 December 2008.

On 28 September 2009, the politicians, meeting within the “Forces Vives de Guinée” with the civil society and the syndicalist, called for a peaceful protest in Conakry stadium, against the potential application for presidency of captain Moussa Dadis Camara, who was then chief of the military junta of the CNDD. This protest, to which dozens of thousands of people were participating, was violently repressed by the security forces.

Around 11.30 am, hundreds of members of the Guinean security forces entered the Conakry stadium and opened fire on the protesters. Besides the 157 killed and hundreds of injured people, dozens of women were subjected to particularly brutal forms of sexual violence, according to the estimates of the UN. The following days, the security forces concealed the number of deaths, cleaned the stadium and burned all evidence. The national commission of inquiry put into place by captain Moussa Dadis Camara minimized the figures given by the UN, saying there were around 50 deaths. Many abuses, such as murders, rapes and sacking, were still committed by the security forces in the following days. Many political opponents were arbitrarily detained in army or police camps, where many were subjected to torture.

According to Human Rights Watch, the fact that the protest was peaceful and the organization shown by the security forces during the attack (simultaneous arrival of different units at the stadium, deployment in strategic positions around the stadium in order to prevent the protestors from fleeing away, the lack of non-lethal arms to dissipate the crowd or the presence of officers) prove that the event was premeditated and organized. Human Rights Watch affirms that the murders, rapes and other abuses committed by security forces, as they were widespread and systematic on 28 September 2009 and on the following days, constitute a crime against humanity.

A commission of enquiry set up by United Nations agrees with this conclusion in a report elaborated on the basis of meetings with 687 people (victims, security forces, members of the bar, persons in charge of hospitals and Guinean officials) and handed out on 16 December 2009 to the Security Council. This report blames Moussa Dadis Camara, Aboubacar Chérif « Toumba » Diakité and Moussa Tiégboro Camara, all considered as having an « individual criminal responsibility » in the massacres having taken place on 28 September 2009 and the following days in Conakry. According to this commission of inquiry, the police of Moussa Tiégboro Camara are allegedly responsible of murders, sexual violence, torture and arbitrary arrests and detentions, as well as forced disappearances during and after the attack of the stadium. Moussa Tiégboro Camara had command and effective control over his subordinates and knew, or should have known, that they were committing or had committed those acts. He did not prevent them from acting and did not investigate on the facts.

On 14 October 2009, the prosecutor of the International criminal court (ICC), Luis Moreno-Ocampo, confirmed that the situation in Guinea was under preliminary investigations by his office.

On 8 February 2010, the prosecutor General of Conakry’s Court of Appeal appointed three judges to proceedings against “Aboubakar Diakité alias Toumba and all the others” in order to establish the individual responsibilities in the events of 28 September 2009.

Moussa Tiegboro Camara was eventually indicted by a Guinean tribunal on 1 February 2012 for his alleged role in the serious violations of human rights perpetrated on 28 September 2009 in Conakry stadium.

legal procedure

Moussa Tiegboro Camara was eventually indicted by a Guinean tribunal on 1 February 2012 for his alleged role in the serious violations of human rights perpetrated on 28 September 2009 in Conakry stadium.

On 8 February 2012, Tiegboro Camara appeared before the preliminary judges and was then released. He denies the charges against him.

However, because of his position in the Guinean government and of his high rank in the military hierarchy, several organizations expressed concern about the risk of interferences in the judicial proceedings.


Le lieutenant-colonel Moussa Tiegboro Camara est le plus important officiel guinéen à être inculpé dans cette affaire. Il est ministre en exercice.


On 23 December 2008 long-time President of Guinea, Lansana Conté, died for natural reasons. In the immediate aftermath a ‘junta’ – known as ‘Conseil National de la Démocratie et du Development’, CNDD – took the power, announcing the dissolution of democratic institutions. Its leader, and new President of Guinea, was captain Moussa Dadis Camara. The CNDD expressed its will to stay in power only for a two-years transitional period.

On 28 September 2009 a demonstration was held by members of the civil society in the stadium of Conakry, Guinea’s capital city. The demonstrators aimed at avoiding Camara’s candidature for next presidential elections. Reportedly, members of the army entered the stadium and opened fire on protesters, killing many of them. The army operation allegedly involved episodes of torture, sexual violence and arbitrary arrest.

On 14 October 2009 the Office of the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court confirmed that the situation in Guinea was under preliminary examination. On 18 December 2009 a UN Commission of Inquiry submitted to the Security Council its report on the events.

In the following months the ICC Deputy prosecutor went twice to Guinea in order to further the preliminary examination. To date no investigation has been officially opened at the ICC, in furtherance of the principle of complementarity. Guinea is currently attempting to bring to justice those responsible for crimes perpetrated on 28 September 2009.

In 2010 Guinea held its first free elections since 1958. However, the proclamation of the results – according to which Alpha Condé became the new President of Guinea – was followed by riots and episodes of violence.